Wiping up after a harried breakfast this morning, I noticed my kitchen sponge looked as if it had been ravaged by a wild animal. It smelled a little like a wild animal, too. Not good.

Funny how the very thing we use to clean our pots and pans can be a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. To avoid unwelcome critters, be sure to rinse and squeeze sponges dry after use. Bacteria are plum crazy about moisture, so a dry sponge is better than a wet one. In addition, deep clean your kitchen sponges at least weekly using one of these three methods:

:: Microwave ::

Pop wet sponges into the microwave for two minutes. Allow them to cool completely, rinse with fresh water and give them a good squeeze.

:: Dishwasher ::

Put sponges into the dishwasher before you run it and leave them in there for the entire cycle.

:: Sponge Bath ::

Soak sponges in a bowl of hot water with a 10 percent bleach solution. This last method is far less effective but works in the absense of modern appliances.

Tags: , , , ,



  1. Cynthia Jones
    03.25.2011 at 5:43 PM #

    Thanks for this info Katie. I have read various amounts of time to clean the sponge in the microwave, so it’s helpful to have your input. I remember an Indi movie of a few years ago in which one of the main characters proclaimed that her kitchen sponge “smells like a hot dog” – not a good thing!

  2. Jennifer Boyd
    03.27.2011 at 3:10 AM #

    Great tip on the sponges. I tried the microwave method and it indeed take away that fragrant “animal smell”!

Post Your Comment