It’s National Popcorn Day and given my propensity to support the underdog, I feel compelled to give America’s most magical snack a shout out.
Why the underdog you ask? How you would feel living in the shadow of Martin Luther King Jr Day?
Plus, I never need an excuse to talk popcorn. It’s one of my favorite foods. A whole grain that, unadorned, clocks in at about 30 calories. It’s like eating air, only with fiber.
On the rare evening when I have the house to myself, you are likely to find me enjoying the following for dinner: a glass of wine, a bowl of popcorn, and a period flick set in a foreign country with subtitles that would be nothing short of torture for Mr. Mom’s Kitchen.
My new go-to for such occasions is this Stove Top Sriracha Lime Popcorn. Key, is popping the corn in coconut oil. While I use olive oil for everything under the sun, it doesn’t do justice to our humble grain. Coconut oil can tolerate high heat the way that olive oil cannot and results in a crunchier popcorn with just a whiff of pleasing coconut flavor.
For this post, I teamed up with Pure Formulas, a one-stop-shopping site for all things holistic. They also happen to make a pretty dreamy coconut oil. It’s organic, which means no heat or chemicals were used to extract the oil. The result is better tasting and better for you.
Now, onto the popcorn. It’s a tangy, salty, crunchy, wonder with just a hit of heat from the sriracha. It’s hard to stop at just a handful, which is exactly how it should be.
So, pull out your sturdiest pot, gather your ingredients, and give popcorn some love. Martin Luther King Jr. didn’t like anyone to feel left out.
- 3 tablespoons Pure Formula organic coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons sriracha (you can also use tabasco)
- 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot with a lid, melt 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Put a few popcorn kernels into the oil and put on the lid. Once the first kernel pops, the oil is ready.
- Add the remaining popcorn to the pot, put on the lid, hang onto both sides of the pot and give it a vigorous shake to distribute the popcorn. Continue cook the popcorn, shaking the pot every 30 seconds or so, until the popping diminishes and the popcorn is done.
- While the popcorn is cooking, stir the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil and the sriracha together in a small bowl until blended. Microwave on high until melted, about 15 seconds.
- When the popcorn is popped, transfer to a large bowl. Zest the lime over the popcorn, sprinkle on the salt, drizzle with the melted coconut oil/sriracha and use your hands to toss the popcorn until it is evenly coated.
This post was sponsored by Pure Formulas. It is partnerships like this that support the running of this blog.