Instant Pot Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes and Greens
Seeing how I’m well into month three with my Instant Pot, the honeymoon is officially over, but I do still feel like a newlywed. In other words, I’m no longer obsessed, but I’m still in love.
Like most relationships, we haven’t spend as much time getting acquainted as I’d like. Work and home life have been busy and I haven’t had time to develop new recipes. More often than not, I use it for basics, such as:
- Sweet potatoes: 1 cup of water in the pot, small sweet potatoes set on the steaming basket, 12 minutes manual.
- Boiled eggs: 1 cup of water in the pot, eggs on the steaming basket, 5 minutes manual for hard boiled, 3 minutes for soft boiled.
- Whole chicken: 1 cup chicken broth, chicken seasoned with salt and pepper on steaming basket, 25 minutes manual.
- Black beans: 1 pound beans, 7 1/2 cups water, manual for 45 minutes, natural release.
That all being said, I do have one new Instant Pot recipe that was a big success and will undoubtedly become part of our dinner rotation: Instant Pot Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes and Greens.
Here’s how it goes down: After sauteeing an onion, you pile the rest of the ingredients into the pot (except the chard, which goes in at the tail end) and cook it for 12 minutes. While that’s happening, you can prep your pasta, polenta, or whatever else you feel like spooning that tasty, tender bird onto.
It’s makes a perfect family meal, potluck supper, or casual dinner party main. And if the Instant Pot is new to you like it is to me, open a bottle of bubbly to go with it. You are newlyweds, after all.
Instant Pot Balsamic and Tomato Chicken with Greens
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 26- ounce box or 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cooked whole grain pasta, brown rice, polenta, or other favorite grain
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the salt and a light shower of freshly ground pepper on both sides.
Strip the leaves off the chard and roughly chop. Lay the chard stems on a cutting board and cut into ½-inch-wide pieces.
Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and hit “Saute”. Add the olive oil. When the oil is good and hot, add the onion and saute until tender. Push “Keep Warm/Cancel”.
Add the chard stems (not the leaves), chicken, garlic, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes (juice included), rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano to the Instant Pot. Stir well and secure the lid.
Set the Pot to “Manual” for 12 minutes with the vent closed.
When the Instant Pot signals it’s done, open the vent with care to release the steam. Once the steam has vented, open the pot, add the chard leaves, stir, and cover the pot. Leave it for 4 minutes.
Serve over cooked whole grain spaghetti, brown rice, or polenta with Parmesan cheese grated over the top.