How to Keep School Lunch Safe

Back-to-school bootcamp marches on, and today I’m turning my lense on something a little less charming than bento boxes and more serious than veggie wraps: Food safety. Packing lunches is trickier than making other meals since they’re taken to go. They often sit in cloak rooms for hours before being cracked open, which adds the challenge of how to keep food borne-illness at bay. Having a good thermos for hot foods and small freezer packs for cold ones is key. For more tips, I recently sat down with Christine Gallary over at The Kitchn to talk food safety (not the sexiest topic, but at least it was over cappuccinos and croissants). She culled 5 tips on how to keep school lunch safe and free of unfriendly bacteria, which you can find if you head on over here. 

What are your tips for lunch box food safety?

photo credit: Pottery Barn Kids

Lunch Box Food Safety Tips on Mom's Kitchen Handbook

 

Comments

08.28.2015 at 3:45 AM #

Carolyn

Oops! The link didn’t work for me. Went to The Kitchn website and couldn’t find the article. Others too?

08.28.2015 at 3:45 AM #

katiemorford

Yikes…thanks for the heads up. Should work now 🙂 Apologies.

08.28.2015 at 5:44 AM #

Christina

Link didn’t work for me either

08.28.2015 at 5:44 AM #

katiemorford

Sorry sorry Christina. The link should get you there now.

08.28.2015 at 3:58 PM #

Melanie

I loved the article! Food safety is so important, and I’m glad you discussed it. I especially loved the tip that some foods just aren’t meant to be packed in to-go lunches.

08.28.2015 at 3:58 PM #

katiemorford

Thanks Melanie!

08.30.2015 at 6:47 AM #

Emily

Thank you for this post! The last thing kids need is a case of food poisoning from an ill-prepared lunch! We selectively use processed foods to keep lunches safe – 75% of our packed lunches are homemade, the other 25% are things like organic gogurt and mini muffins, which we keep in the freezer until filling up the lunch bag. So far, so good (knock on wood). The packaged stuff also keeps my son from feeling too weird or deprived with his (mostly) healthy lunches. 🙂

08.30.2015 at 6:47 AM #

katiemorford

Sounds like great balance and a terrific approach. Love the grab and go freezer ideas. Thanks for the comment.

Post Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *