Healthy Breakfast Toast with All the Toppings
I’m a super fan of toast, so much so that I devoted an entire chapter of Rise & Shine to breakfast toast. Here’s why:
- It only requires a few ingredients
- Takes just a few minutes
- Is easy enough to outsource to a child
- It’s tasty!
- Can be made for breakfast, yes, but for lunch, snack, or even supper, too
- Done right, it can be enormously nutritious.
Here are a few “how-tos” on getting the most nutrition onto every slice:
- Start with a wholesome loaf. Ideally choose a whole grain bread with at least a few grams of fiber. Head here for my post on how to choose a healthy bread.
- Add a favorite spread, such as nut and seed butters, cottage cheese, cream cheese, all-natural jam, avocado, hummus, or tapenade.
- Layer on fruits, vegetables, or both. Practically any fresh or frozen (defrosted) fruit will do and vegetables can run the gamut from sliced cucumber to leafy greens.
- Add nourishing toppings such as favorite seeds, chopped nuts, dried fruits, granola, and cacao nibs.
- Finish as desired with salt, pepper, herbs, spices, honey, olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, salsa, and so on.
Energy-Boosting Breakfast Toast
A good slice of bread and a few favorite toppings is all it takes to make a simple, nourishing breakfast. Go sweet or savory, crunchy or not, nothing is off limits.
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- Spread of your choice peanut butter, any nut or seed butter, cottage cheese, cream cheese, all-natural jam, smashed avocado, hummus
- Sliced or diced fruits apple, pear, grapes, banana, peach, apricot, figs, fresh or frozen and defrosted berries, or other favorite fruits
- Vegetables/leafy greens cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, arugula, baby spinach, or other favorites
- Favorite toppings chia seeds, hemp seeds, pepitas, nuts, coconut, dried fruits, granola, cacao nibs
- Seasoning salt, pepper, chiles, herbs, spices, salsa, honey, lemon or lime juice
Toast bread until lightly brown.
Add spread of your choice.
Top with a fruit or vegetable, or both, as desired.
Scatter on any toppings you like.
Finish with appropriate seasonings.
Photo credits: Leigh Beisch