Healthy Blueberry Superfood Smoothie
The media landscape is brimming with advice on how to eat healthy. Unfortunately, much of the guidance focuses squarely on what NOT to eat. Whether it’s gluten or dairy, sugar or animal protein, processed foods or conventional produce, there’s just a whole lot of “don’t” when it comes to diet. All those “NO’s” can feel like a real dietary downer, particularly since much of what’s said is misguided. I’ve always been in the camp of YES, emphasizing what to pile on your plate rather than what to avoid. In the spirit of this upbeat outlook, I’m sharing this healthy Blueberry Superfood Smoothie. It’s chock full of superfood ingredients you can say a resounding YES to.
What’s in a Healthy Blueberry Superfood Smoothie?
This smoothie is undeniably creamy and satisfying. At the same time, it happens to be packed with ingredients that really deliver on the nutrition front, including:
Full of fiber, antioxidants, and naturally sweet. I use frozen this time of year, which pack nearly as much nutrition as fresh-off-the-vine.
Potassium- and fiber-rich with healthy fats, which help make this smoothie mega filling.
For hydration and potassium.
Kefir (or yogurt)
A good source of protein and calcium, this probiotic-rich drink boosts “good” bacteria, which can play a role in a healthy immune system.
Frozen banana adds creaminess along with natural sweetness and potassium.
Hemp and chia flax seeds add crunch along with protein and good-for-you Omega-3 fats.
Smoothie Swaps and Substitutions
Smoothies tend to be fabulously flexible and this one is no exception. Here are a handful of ideas to make it your own:
- For a vegan smoothie, use unsweetened plant-based yogurt or plant-based milk for the kefir or yogurt.
- If you’re not a fan of bananas, the flavor here is pretty mild. That said, you can leave it out. You may need to bump up the maple syrup a touch.
- Add a handful of baby spinach or a few cauliflower florets for extra veggies. You won’t even notice.
- Use any berry you like. I’m partial to blackberries and strawberries here.
- Add a few dashes of cinnamon, ginger, or cardamom, if you like.
If you like this healthy blueberry superfood smoothie, check out these other smoothies:
Blueberry Superfood Smoothie
- 1 cup plain kefir or plain yogurt
- ¾ cup coconut water, plus more if needed
- 1 frozen banana, cut into thick slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 small ripe avocado
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 8 ice cubes
- 1 to 3 teaspoons hemp or chia seeds (optional)
Put all of the ingredients except the hemp seeds into a blender and run until creamy and smooth. Add a splash of coconut water to thin the smoothie, if desired. Top with hemp seeds, if desired.
Pour into glasses. Serve immediately.